Homes Now – Rapid Response Housing
There are many reasons for ending homelessness and these relate both to the homeless individuals and to the larger community. Three simple reasons are: to eliminate the human suffering and waste of potential lives; to reduce the drain on public and private supports; and to avoid the negative effects on communities, businesses and civil society.
Homelessness is clearly a tragic situation for the individual. This is obvious when we look into the faces of the people who are street homeless. There is a high human cost when people are not able to fully participate in society and end up isolated from their community. Without a home, it is extremely difficult to meet basic physical needs or maintain family, friends, community involvement or work. In recognition of this world wide increasing problem MC Quarters Corporation has designed a specific 43 person urban housing unit to meet the needs of the homeless.
Our mission is to provide quality, affordable housing in a timely manner that meets the needs of low income, homeless and medically-challenged individuals.
Social Housing Units:
- One IMU comprises of a 53’ long X 8’-6” high self contained structural unit providing 2 individual accommodation units on each side of a contiguous corridor connecting the adjacent assembled units.
- The complex comprises of 30 IMU units assembled in two three story connected blocks to accommodate 43 living units, a controlled secure entrance, a supervisory office/reception, a barrier free public washroom, a bicycle storage room, a common lounge and kitchenette, an interview office, a common laundry, exit stairs, and garbage and services rooms.
- Each individual accommodation unit has its own living/sleeping room; kitchenette with sink and cook top and cabinets; private bathroom with sink and shower.
- Each IMU is connected to adjacent units and to mechanical and electrical services.
- Living accommodations will provide individual private homes to give occupants much desired security, health and well being, and ensure that Resident comfort is provided (heat, ventilation).
- Ensuite amenities are provided in each room (sink/wardrobe/electrical). Other suite amenities can be provided such as cable TV/telephone/internet cabling.
- Common amenity rooms are proposed to encourage sense of community, with a lounge and kitchenette facility; common laundry and outdoor landscape courtyard.
- Improvements to assist in health, cleanliness are highly desirable (ensuite and communal washrooms, ventilation).
- Improvements to support daily maintenance routines are desirable (e.g. garbage room, janitor’s room).
- Interior finishes will provide durability and ease of cleaning. Pest resistant detailing is desirable.
- The complex is provided with a controlled entrance with office/reception overview. This will provide security and human contact for residents and guests.
- An accessible public washroom is provided near the front entrance.
- An office space and communal lounge and courtyard encourage secure comfortable social spaces for the residents.
- The provision of common amenity and building services spaces is important, although it does affect net; gross floor area ratio and associated cost calculations.